Site Search
Store Search
Association of the Miraculous Medal
Saint Louise de Marillac Chapel
Saint Louise de Marillac Chapel

Saint Louise de Marillac, D. C., 1591-1660. Saint Louise is the co-foundress with Saint Vincent de Paul of the Daughters of Charity in Paris, 1633. She is depicted here with a young girl and a book in her hand with Vincent's care for the abandoned children that give him his name of patron of organized charities. Through Louise's help, the Daughters of Charity were guided in their work and daily activities of service and community life. Because of Louise's ill health, she was unable to wear the Daughter's white cornette or bonette and had to wear a head covering. The Daughters of Charity is the sister community of the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentians) and work closely whenever possible.

The painting to the left of the altar features the Holy Founders blessing Sisters First Departure-1652.

The painting on the right of the altar features the Glorification of Saint Louise-1660.




Holy Founders blessing Sisters First Departure 1652


Saint Vincent de Paul and Saint Louise de Marillac bless the first group of Daughters of Charity to leave France for Poland. Later the Daughters of Charity would become the largest religious community of Sisters in the Church.


Return to the beginning of this page.


Glorification of Saint Louise--1660

Saint Vincent de Paul is speaking to the Daughters of Charity about Louise's holiness. Saint Louise is in heaven with the company of Mary and Jesus. Saint Vincent de Paul himself will join Saint Louise in heaven in about six months of the same year. She was canonized on March 11, 1934.





Continue on to the Miraculous Medal Shrine chapel